- Get Involved
In June of 2005, the Department of Education conducted an education mission to the Basque Country. The purpose of the mission was to acquaint the delegation of Idaho teachers with the culture and history of the Basque Country and to reinforce the linkages that continue to connect families and communities in the Basque Country to the State of Idaho. The theme of the mission was “Preserving Culture and Building Community: The Basque Experience.”
Among the final products of this mission are several lesson plans from the areas of language arts and social studies featuring Basque-themed elements and topics.
- Expand knowledge of the human condition and experience.
- Read and analyze a variety of nonfiction sources to understand the Guernica bombing and current disasters.
- Compare the events of Guernica and a contemporary disaster.
- Use primary sources to add support to essay, and correctly document those sources.
- Write for purpose and audience.
- Apply the six traits of effective writing: ideas, organization, voice, word choice, sentence fluency and conventions.
- Through an analysis of oral histories students will develop a database from which they will determine why Basques immigrated to Idaho and discover how high expectations impacted the successes they experienced here.